Virgo - Knowledge is Golden - trivia draw - results!

Contests, games, draws, and other ways to get Sams! Also custom availability.
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Virgo - Knowledge is Golden - trivia draw - results!

Post by Janalee »

"The sign is governed by Mercury, the planet of dexterity, communication, interchange of ideas and study. Mercury is also exalted in this sign, which as an 'earth-sign' is marked by practicality and perseverance...Virgos are reputed to be adept at languages, to possess a love of literature, a deep interest in history and statistics, and a good memory for details." -Wikipedia
Virgo/Virtue is hoping to share her love of Zodiac facts and lore with all of you! Or, at very least, to force you to learn some of them anyway. ;)

Your task is to answer her twelve questions, one based on each sign. Virtue's winner will be randomly chosen from everyone who answered all the questions correctly; if no one answered them all correctly, then the winner will be chosen from the group with the most correct answers.

There are also two additional prizes to be won, which will be given away through a random draw from all the entries:

Virgo-inspired Kreenasa Dragonet

Trait Amulet - Feathered Ankle Wings
When equipped to a Samanayr, a Trait Amulet gives that trait to the Samanayr. It is passed down to foals like a usual trait, and the trait will be removed if the Amulet is equipped. Once an Amulet has been equipped to a Sam it cannot be equipped to a different Sam.

The Questions!
1. Which goddess sent the golden ram to save her children?
2. There are two open star clusters in the constellation of Taurus, both named after a group of sisters: one is the Hyades. What is the name of the other?
3. Before becoming the constellation of Gemini, one of the twins was immortal, and the other was not; what was the name of the mortal twin?
4. Hera sent the crab to distract Hercules from killing which creature?
5. What is the name of the second brightest star in Leo, and what part of the lion does it represent?
6. Virgo has been identified with many different female figures; when seen holding the scales of Libra, which goddess is she?
7. Before becoming the scales, Libra was once part of the constellation of Scorpius; what are the names of Libra's two brightest stars, and what part of the scorpion were they?
8. While there are many different versions of this myth, the scorpion was usually sent to harm which hunter?
9. Sagittarius is usually viewed as a centaur drawing his bow; what star in Scorpius is his arrow pointed at?
10. What monster was the god Pan fleeing from when he turned into a sea goat?
11. What animal form did Zeus take when he carried Ganymede away to become the cup-bearer of the gods?
12. Which two gods turned themselves into fish to escape a monster, tying a cord around their tails so they wouldn't lose each other?

The Rules!
- There is a limit of one entry per person.
- Please don't edit your entry after you've sent it to me; this is a random draw, so feel free to take your time with your answers.
- Please do not post the answers to any of the questions! Doing so will disqualify you.

To enter, please send me a PM with the subject I know this! with your answers to all the questions. The event will close September 9th, 9am PDT. Good luck!
Last edited by Janalee on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Re: Virgo - Knowledge is Golden - trivia draw

Post by RikkuGirl »

This was so much fun! :D I love these kind of games because it helps me to learn facts and lore that I didnt know :) Thanks Janalee! <3 and good luck to everyone! ^_____^
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Pristine
Mystic
Mystic
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Pristine »

Whee, that was fun! I know a bit of Greek mythology but that taught me quite a bit more... and I LOVE learning about Greek mythology! Thank you, Janalee!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Post by Seren »

I learned quite a bit! and now I feel like designing some astrology horses... Hmmm... X3 Great idea!
SunBlind
Mystic
Mystic

Post by SunBlind »

That was fun ^_^ I love both mythology and astronomy so this was perfect.
Stallions
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mares
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Janalee »

Thanks guys! :D Mythology and astronomy are definitely two of my favorite subjects, so I'm glad to hear that other people enjoy them as well. And I was hoping that with the mix, everyone who entered would have to learn something they didn't know before...I know I did when coming up with the questions, anyway. *grins*

And to anyone who wanted to enter this event but hasn't done so yet, this is just a reminder that it closes tomorrow!
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Janalee »

And that's it! *grins* Thanks so much for entering everyone; I'll be drawing the winners momentarily. In the meantime though, here are the answers:

1. Which goddess sent the golden ram to save her children?
Nephele, a deity of clouds

2. There are two open star clusters in the constellation of Taurus, both named after a group of sisters: one is the Hyades. What is the name of the other?
The Pleiades (and to those who also included one of their names from a different culture than Greek/Roman or from astronomy: thank you. XD)

3. Before becoming the constellation of Gemini, one of the twins was immortal, and the other was not; what was the name of the mortal twin?
Castor

4. Hera sent the crab to distract Hercules from killing which creature?
The Hydra (of Lerna)

5. What is the name of the second brightest star in Leo, and what part of the lion does it represent?
Denebola (β Leonis), the tail or Algieba (γ Leonis), the mane/shoulder (forehead? *raises an eyebrow at the word's meaning*)
(I'm sorry, I messed this question up; I really just wanted to say that I like the name 'Denebola.' *crooked grin* Algieba is a binary star, and while neither star in that system has a lower apparent magnitude than Denebola, the combined apparent magnitude is lower...and I have no idea why the different astronomy websites aren't more consistent on which magnitude they list for it. Anyway, I accepted both answers.)

6. Virgo has been identified with many different female figures; when seen holding the scales of Libra, which goddess is she?
Astraea/Dike/Justitia, all goddesses of justice

7. Before becoming the scales, Libra was once part of the constellation of Scorpius; what are the names of Libra's two brightest stars, and what part of the scorpion were they?
Zubeneschamali (β Librae) and Zubenelgenubi (α Librae), the claws (and no, I didn't care how you spelt those words, as long as they were recognizable. ^^)

8. While there are many different versions of this myth, the scorpion was usually sent to harm which hunter?
Orion

9. Sagittarius is usually viewed as a centaur drawing his bow; what star in Scorpius is his arrow pointed at?
Antares (α Scorpii)

10. What monster was the god Pan fleeing from when he turned into a sea goat?
Typhon

11. What animal form did Zeus take when he carried Ganymede away to become the cup-bearer of the gods?
An eagle/large bird

12. Which two gods turned themselves into fish to escape a monster, tying a cord around their tails so they wouldn't lose each other?
Aphrodite and Eros (Venus and Cupid)
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

I knew I got the Libra one wrong! All I could find was Alpha Librae and Beta Librae, I could never find the actual names >> Oh well, good luck to those of you that got them all right!
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Janalee »

*laughs* The answers in the parentheses are also correct Seren, so you did get them all right. ^_^ I just wrote the names I personally preferred first.
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

Oh.. *facepalms* Duh. This is why Seren should not try to do anything requiring thinking after completeing an AP Quiz. Aha. XD Well at least I'm still in the running! I suppose. X3
Bluestarwolf12
Blue of the Howling Stars
Blue of the Howling Stars
Favorite Sam species: Sa'Grisayr

Post by Bluestarwolf12 »

And I'm out. Stupid Wikipedia, making me miss #5. >_>

Good luck to everyone still in! :D
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Janalee »

Sorry for the delay; today has really just been one thing after another. Anyway, the results!

Virtue will be going home with silvermoondragon!
The Dragonet will be going with Nighthenge!
And the Trait Amulet belongs to Zephyr!

Thanks again everyone, and good luck in all the other Zodiac events!
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Re: Virgo - Knowledge is Golden - trivia draw - results!

Post by silvermoondragon »

Yay! Thank you. I do so love her dapple pattern. Now I have to find her a nice song so I can hopefully see how it passes down during the next breeding season!
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

Congrats guys! Thanks janalee that was fun! :)
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

Congrats! I had a really fun time with this Janalee, it was a good excuses to brush up on all my greek myths. Thanks for hosting.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

Congrats all! Oooh Virtue's foals are really tempting... X3 Hopefully soon!
Novanight
Lamanayr
Lamanayr

Post by Novanight »

Congrats all!
Mares
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Stallion
ImageImage
Zephyr
Lamanayr
Lamanayr
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayrn

Post by Zephyr »

Woot! I got all the answers right! I was air-punching even before I saw the winners - some of those answers were HARD to find! XD Though part of that might have been researching at 3 am :P
Image Image Image Image
Raenia
Silence of Uncertain Cause

Post by Raenia »

Congrats guys, and thanks for the event Janalee! It was lots of fun.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage