Healthy recipe swap

Talk about anything you want here.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Healthy recipe swap

Post by Sushidragon »

The other day we were talking in the chat about healthy recipes, and someone suggested a healthy recipe swap thread, so here we go :D

I'll start off with the cinnamon bun recipe I made yesterday. It's not super healthy healthy, but these cinnamon buns have very little fat in them and are still delicious!

--

1 cup(s) fat-free skim milk
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp table salt
1 tbsp yeast, about 1 package
2 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour, sifted, divided
1/4 cup(s) unpacked brown sugar
1/4 cup(s) dark corn syrup
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp orange zest, grated
1/4 cup(s) raisins, dried cherries or cranberries

* Stir together milk, vegetable oil, sugar and salt in a small saucepan. Heat to lukewarm. Pour yeast over 2 tablespoons lukewarm water and let sit 5 minutes. Stir into milk mixture.

* Transfer warm milk to a large mixing bowl and beat in half the flour by hand or with an electric mixer. Mix in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Let rest 10 minutes; knead well on a floured board or with an electric mixer and dough hook; let rest 10 minutes.

* Spray a large, clean bowl with cooking spray, add dough, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

* Lightly coat a 9-inch (23 cm) round baking pan with cooking spray. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll into a 12 x 10-inch (30 x 25 cm) rectangle. Spray with cooking spray.

* Stir together brown sugar, corn syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange zest; brush over dough. Sprinkle with raisins. Roll up tightly, like a jelly roll. Cut into 12 pieces.

* Place buns cut-side up in baking pan. Cover with plastic and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

* Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Bake buns until firm and nicely browned on top, 30 minutes. Cool completely before inverting onto a serving plate.

I left out the raisins because I don't like them, and the orange zest because I didn't have any. These were pretty time-consuming, but overall easy to make! For the frosting, I combined a 1:1 ratio of icing sugar and non-fat cream cheese. One cinnamon bun is 3 WW points, and with 1/2 tbsp of frosting 4 points.

Bring on those recipes :D
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Re: Healthy recipe swap

Post by LvSoulFriend »

I make chicken salad, but I add in carrots, apples, and walnuts. It's pretty good!
Britain
Valentine Key
Favorite Sam species: Northern!

Post by Britain »

This is a recipe from my dad's bachelor days, and aside from being pretty healthy, it's also SUPER easy and requires only a pot, a spoon or spatula, and a casserole dish. It's so basic that almost anyone will eat it, even picky kids. It refrigerates and reheats very well for leftovers.

(Sorry I don't have the points values, it's been a long time >.< I vaguely remember it might be 6-7 points for 1/6th of the pan.)

Gant's Chicken Casserole

2 bags Success rice, regular size (not extra large or family size)
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 small can of peas, drained
1 small can of mushrooms, drained
1 can of chicken, drained
6 slices of Velveeta cheese

(Peas and mushrooms can both be removed, but HEY, veggies are good for you!)

1. Heat oven to 350.

2. Boil rice as per instructions on the box.

3. In a 9x13 glass casserole dish, mix all ingredients, with salt and pepper. I like to make sure the chicken is broken up and mixed in well.

4. Smooth mixture to settle evenly in the pan. Lay Velveeta slices across the top; 6 should cover it almost perfectly.

5. Bake for 35 minutes, or until cheese produces small brown bubbles on top.

Daddy's original version had 4 thawed chicken breasts on top (under the cheese) instead of canned mixed in; this is all personal preference. In that case all 35 minutes are needed to make sure the chicken cooks. I find that using canned chicken means you can store all of the ingredients, and have it as a quick and easy meal whenever.

Recipe can be made healthier by using reduced-fat soup and Velveeta slices. Very good with a fresh fruit or salad side!
cassiadawn
Lamanayr
Lamanayr

Post by cassiadawn »

Ooooh, recipes :D

I found this recipe on Cooking Light the other day. The muffins are about 185 calories - not incredibly light, but good as a breakfast muffin (and enough carbs and protein to be a good workout snack). Don't expect these to taste JUST like a PB&J sandwich (the peanut butter flavor isn't terribly strong), but they're still quite tasty, especially warmed up. Oh, and I just used 2 large eggs instead of the egg substitute :P

Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins

Consider these a breakfast version of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Don't use a natural-style peanut butter in this recipe; it won't have enough sugar or fat to help the muffins rise.

Ingredients

* 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
* 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (about 3 1/2 ounces)
* 1/4 cup granulated sugar
* 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
* 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
* 1/4 cup egg substitute
* 2 tablespoons butter, melted
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Cooking spray
* 1/4 cup strawberry jam

Preparation

~Preheat oven to 400°.
~Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, sugars, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through vanilla); add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
~Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Fill each cup half full with batter. Spoon 1 teaspoon jam into each cup. Spoon remaining batter on top to cover jam. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recip ... id=1673123
Orasteele
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Misery

Post by Orasteele »

Chicken ala Chu
6-8 servings

This is a recipe I made up one day. I tend to do this thing where I get an idea in my head, and for some reason it works out! I'm all about the ease of making it and flavor. Every time I make this I end up with an empty casserole dish by the end of dinner, and only a small portion of leftovers for Britain's lunch the next day. I promise I'll work out the points on this. I'm not sure exactly how healthy it is, but it's a helluva lot better than fast food!!

You will need:
9x13 Casserole Dish
2 cans of cubed potatoes
2 containers of Spinach & Artichoke Allouette (found in the deli-chese area of your grocery store)
1 package of Chicken (3 breasts or package of tenders:: use leaner chicken for a healthier recipe)
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Cut chicken into small cubes. It will make sure that the chicken cooks all the way through the first time.
  • mix: Chicken, potatoes, and allouette in the 9x 13 casserole dish
  • cook for 1hour to 1 hour 20 minutes pending on your oven. Either way pull out once the chicken is cooked.
Served best with a side of grapes.
Britain
Valentine Key
Favorite Sam species: Northern!

Post by Britain »

Chicken ala Chu is God. o_o Especially good when served with grapes. And maybe while watching Much Ado About Nothing.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

So I've got a slightly less-than-healthy recipe I found and made tonight for Potato Bundles. They were... godly and tender and steamy and everything dreams are made of. I figured I'd share, just in case someone wanted to be bad with some good potatoes.

Recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitche ... o-bundles/
Step-by-Step (with pictures!): http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009 ... o-bundles/

We used red potatoes rather than russet, and dried parsley because we don't have fresh handy. They turned out unspeakably good. My dad's a picky eater, especially with new recipes, and he said I could make them anytime. That's a pretty big vote of confidence from him. xD
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Mmmm, those potato bundles look good! I'm tempted to give them a try, although with skim milk instead of the heavy cream and maybe some sprays of cooking spray instead of the butter XD

I'll share a salad that I absolutely loooove. How can you go wrong with olives and feta? I never have mint around so I always leave it out.

Greek Rice Salad

2 cup(s) water
1 cup(s) uncooked white rice, long grain
1 tsp lemon zest, grated
1/4 cup(s) fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp water
1/4 cup(s) mint leaves, fresh, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 large tomato(es), diced
1 cup(s) cucumber(s), diced
1/3 cup(s) red onion(s), diced
10 medium olive(s), Kalamata, sliced
1/2 cup(s) feta cheese, Crumbled
Instructions

* Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in rice and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat, uncover and let cool, tossing occasionally.

* In a large serving bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, remaining 2 tablespoons of water, mint, oil, garlic, salt and pepper until blended.

* Add cooled rice, tomato, cucumber, onion and olives to bowl; toss to mix and coat. Add feta cheese; toss. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
Image Image

Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

omg, I need to share this recipe too XD I just made it tonight, and it's so easy and so delicious - it's like eating a frozen mint Aero!

Frozen Chocolate Mint Dessert

1 oz chocolate cookie crumbs
1/4 tsp mint extract
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa
7 oz fat-free whipped topping, about 1 whole aerosol can
1/4 cup(s) fat-free skim milk
3 piece(s) Russell Stover (U.S.) Mint patties, frozen, chopped into pieces
2 tbsp chocolate syrup
6 tbsp whipped topping, light or fat-free, vanilla or chocolate
Instructions

* Line six muffin holes with foil muffin liners.

* In a blender, combine wafers, extract, cocoa, fat-free whipped topping and milk; blend until completely combined. Divide mixture among prepared muffin liners; freeze for 2 hours or more.

* Just before serving, top each with 1/6 of mint patties, 1 teaspoon of chocolate syrup and a tablespoon of whipped topping. Yields 1 mint dessert per serving.
Image Image

CosmicDragon
Mirror Master
Mirror Master
Favorite Sam species: Minayr
Location: Everywhere. And Nowhere. But definitely not Somewhere.

Post by CosmicDragon »

Ok, this may not be the healthiest thing in the world, but it's got banana in it, right? XD

Banana-caramel Cream Pie

~ A pie base. (Home-made/premade)
~ Sliced banana
- Caramel Top-n-Fill
~ Hand-whipped cream

* Line the pie base with the sliced banana.
* Coat the banana by around a centimeter with the Caramel.
* Cover the Caramel with LOTS of cream. <3

... And NEVER EVER let Cosmic near the cream. >.> Lest she do this:
"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles." - 11th Doctor
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Nnnnng I need a rainbow happy-face pie XD XD
Image Image

CosmicDragon
Mirror Master
Mirror Master
Favorite Sam species: Minayr
Location: Everywhere. And Nowhere. But definitely not Somewhere.

Post by CosmicDragon »

Ahaha, no-one realised what I was doing until it was too late. >D
... I like playing with food coloring and cream!! His name is bob. And I ate one of his eyes. >.>
"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles." - 11th Doctor
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

One of my all time favorite healthy recipes

Sesame Sweet Potato Wedges with Peanut Dipping Sauce

1 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes, about 4, well scrubbed but unpeeled, cut lengthways into thick wedges
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
sea salt
coarsely torn or chopped cilantro, to serve

Dipping Sauce
2 tablespoons organic peanut butter
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 red serrano chile, seeded and sliced (optional)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Arrange the sweet potato wedges in a single layer on a baking tray, then sprinkle with the olive and sesame oils, sesame seeds, and salt. Roast in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 35 minutes or until tender (cooking time will vary depending on size of wedges).

Meanwhile, to prepare the sauce , put the peanut butter, lime joice, chile (optional), soy sauce, and tomato ketchup in a food proccessor, add 1/4 cup hot water and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste, then pour into a saucepan and heat gently to warm for a few minutes.

Sprinkle the wedges with cilantro and serve with a seperate bowl of the dipping sauce. Enjoy
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

ZOMGOSH! O.O!! Those look Nummies!!!! :3 *Drools* Im so hungry now. lol I would post a receipe if I had any -_-;; im afraid I cook everything from memory. O.o;; and its like.. a dash of this here, and a few hand fulls of that there... O.o;; plus I have big hands.

Ill have to research some stuff make it and then post XD Im a rip off... I know. *giggles*
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

I'm reviving this thread because I'm back to seriously eating healthy - need to get in shape in time for the wedding XD Here's a salad dressing I used today over a salad of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion, skim feta, and a baked salmon fillet:

1 tbsp fat-free chicken broth
1 tsp mutard (yellow or dijon)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp olive oil
2 tsp skim plain yogurt
a sprinkle each of dill, oregano, and pepper

Just mix everything together and pour over the salad. It makes a nice creamy dressing - so good @___@
Image Image

Gelliebeen
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Gelliebeen »

Here's a recipe I love. Got it on Allrecipes a few weeks ago and now I tend to make it all the time *.* I doubt it's actually HEALTHY for you, but since it's basically apples with some sugar it can't be all that bad. Here, I'll copy and paste it.

Baked Apples:
* 6 apples - peeled, cored and sliced
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/2 cup raisins
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 1/2 cup whole milk

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart casserole dish, or coat with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Place apples in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Stir spice mixture into apples until evenly distributed. Fold in raisins and walnuts. Spoon into prepared dish. Pour milk evenly over apple mixture.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until soft and bubbly. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

I also add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to it, and you can use like 1/4 apple cider instead of the milk which is delicious. Great served with ice cream or whipped cream ;D